During the incredibly cold weather over Christmas and New Year everybody’s central heating systems and gas effect fires were maxed (and many probably still are) while the cooker worked overtime preparing roasts and curries. Unfortunately not everybody knows what to do when a gas related problem occurs, usually after a long period of poor maintenance. If you are in any doubt at all about the safety of your equipment then you are urgently advised to find a Gas Fitter on Mr Skill.
As a homeowner or landlord you are responsible by law for the safe functioning of the gas fittings and appliances on your property, and are required to ensure that these are checked annually by a Gas Safe Registered Installer. Tenants are obliged to cooperate and to admit a Gas Repairperson whenever their services are required.
Each year people in the UK die unnecessarily from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by improperly installed or maintained domestic gas systems. You cannot see, taste or smell it, yet it could kill you after just a few hours exposure. Symptoms of poisoning include headaches, difficulty in thinking clearly, and feeling tired and sick.
o Extinguish all open fires and cigarettes
o Switch off all heating and cooking appliances
o Open all doors and windows
o Consult a doctor at once
o Find a Gas Fitter registered with Gas Safe.
The best and only way to play safe in the long run is to get Gas Fitter quotes on Mr-Skill, and ask them inspect your home every year. Never try to do the inspections yourself – gas is too dangerous to take chances. Rather concentrate on enjoying a good sleep at night with no worries.