If you can’t take the heat, then get out of the kitchen, at least that’s what professional chef’s like Gordon Ramsey bark at their charges! Our kitchens are the hearts of our homes, and they should be fun places where friends and family meet to share food. But there’s more to it unfortunately – greasy kitchens can cause electrical fires. The UK has around 20,000 fires a year arising mainly from faulty electrical appliances in the kitchen. Grease is a fire’s best friend, and can quickly spread flames and threaten our houses and even our families.
Kitchens are not the only source of unwanted fires. The Electrical Safety Council (ESC) comments that more than half of fires reported, as already stated that’s around 20,000 a year, are down to people’s casual attitudes. Here at Mr-Skill, we say that you and your family – especially the kids – should always have a healthy respect for electrical safety, and never abuse electrical appliances.
The cost of an electrical call-out to check your appliances is insignificant, when compared with the cost of re-building a burned-out home with all the inconvenience that incurs. Mr-Skill urges you to get an electrical quote today, and sleep well at night.
The ESC goes on to say: “In our opinion – which is shared by the fire and rescue professionals we consulted – a considerable number of fires occur through a casual attitude to cleaning and safety, particularly in kitchens.” Leading research into the causes of domestic fires demonstrates that over 25% of the British public suspect faults with at least one of their electrical appliances. As Mr-Skill says, “SAFETY FIRST, ALWAYS!” So, if you are one of the many people with faulty equipment, find an electrician to thoroughly check your home appliances right now.
It doesn’t take a genius to realise that dangling electrical leads in fat deposits left on the counter-tops rate right up there as scary when it comes to fire risks. So too is the dangerous habit of storing items on top of the microwave oven, including tea towels, and forgetting to remove them when the appliance is in use.
Martin – he’s one of our regular London electricians – advises that we should never take electricity for granted. Because we live in a modern electrical world, we need to understand that this power source is a potential fire-maker and even a killer. “Never let your guard down, and keeping a clean and grease-free home is a good start,” says Martin.