It not only makes good sense to insulate the roofs and lofts of UK homes because of the savings in energy costs that can be up to £175 pounds a year. You also reduce your carbon footprint too. We support these environmentally friendly moves at Mr-Skill where you can Find a Builder to do the work for you. Here are a few thoughts to help you decide where to go on from here.
- Bare Basics. Assuming you have easy-going access the simplest is to roll out mineral wool insulation inside the roof space yourself. Remember you need two layers through. One between the joists, the other cross-wise over them.
- Storage and Living Areas. The main thing to remember is to insulate before you fit floorboards on the joists. The last thing you want to do is to squash the insulation laid cross-wise though. The trick is to use insulation boards as the second layer instead. You can use the same boards to insulate the ceiling above.
- Difficult Access Areas. If you can’t obtain access to a tight area, we recommend you Get a Building Quote on Mr-Skill to insulate the area with blown loose fire-retardant insulation material instead. This is a special skill definitely not meant for weekend work.
- Irregular Joists. London Builders often encounter problems like these in older structures where joist-spacing varies. The solutions is to use loose-fill insulation like cork granules, mineral wool, vermiculite or cellulose fibres that are sold in bags. The job is not difficult and an agile amateur can usually do it competently.
- Flat Roofs are normally insulated from above because you cannot get into them without removing ceilings. This is best done at the same time the weatherproof layer is replaced by a professional well-versed in the technique.
We have a variety of competent tradespeople on Mr-Skill who are waiting to provide you with all kinds of competitive quotes. Their rates are good and their papers are genuine. What’s more, you pay nothing for a service that grows in popularity every day.