Apart from letting in light, the windows in our homes play an important role in energy-efficiency factors too. Over time, the seals around the window frames perish, allowing water, air and of course dust into the house. Worn window seals can also lead to fogging inside the double glazing as moisture gets in. Since replacing window seals is a moderately difficult job – rather like working with putty – this may be a job that’s best left to the experts. You can find a window and door fitting expert right here on Mr-Skill.
- Check the glass carefully for cracks, chips or holes, and look to replacing any sheet where the outer or inner pane seems compromised. Glazing is a specialist job, so rather contact your local glass specialist, or get a handyman quote through Mr-Skill. Handling glass is inherently dangerous and is not a repair for the novice to consider.
- Before replacing rubber seals around your windows, be sure to have the right replacement gaskets (gauge and profile). As you remove the old seal, slide the replacement into the same channel and trim to the correct length.
- Older style windows, such as sash type, are likely to use putty as the anchoring agent. If the glass panes are undamaged and do not need replacing, remove all old putty and sealant around the glass, where it is held in place within the window frame. A putty knife could prove useful for cleaning out the crevices.
- Load a tube of window-glazing sealant into a caulking gun, and trim the nozzle to the required size. Engage the ratchet-mechanism, and then squeeze the trigger to get the desired amount of sealant into the channel around the pane of glass.
- Use a putty knife to neaten up the sealant, and then clear any surplus caulking immediately.
One of our London window and door fitters advises that working with glass on a window frame can be challenging if you have no experience. He certainly would not encourage the DYI angle for any window that requires a ladder or scaffolding in place. Rather use the experts in the field, since they know what they are doing, and will complete the job professionally and quickly too.