Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless odourless gas that is the product of incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels. These fuels include gas, oil, coal and wood, but all are however safe when used correctly. According to the Health and Safety Executive, approximately twenty people die in Britain every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by wrongly installed gas appliances, and flues that have not been properly maintained and cleaned. If there ever was a reason to Find a Heating Engineer, then surely this is it.
These people all probably died from a sudden intake of the deadly gas that prevented their blood from carrying oxygen to their tissues, skin and other organs. The gas may however also kill almost imperceptibly over a longer period of slow leaks. These are the sensible precautions you could follow to avoid this happening to you and your family.
o Make sure that any work carried out in your home is done by a Gas Safe registered engineer who is competent to do the particular job. You can get Gas Fitting Quotes right here.
o Arrange for regular inspections by a Gas Safe registered firm as recommended by them.
o Ensure that any room containing a gas appliance is adequately ventilated, and that any chimneys, vents and flues do not become blocked. If you have one, get your chimney swept annually,
o Fossil-burning appliances outside the remit of Gas-Safe registered fitters should be regularly inspected by another person competent to do the work.
There could hardly be a London Plumber who does not also recommend the installation of audible carbon monoxide alarms in every room, although these are no substitute for proper maintenance. This is because in the event of sudden failure, carbon monoxide could kill you in your sleep. Sobering words today from Mr-Skill.